Showing posts with label emergency home. Show all posts
Showing posts with label emergency home. Show all posts

Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Latest Low Down

**A WARNING.. THIS IS AN EXCEPTIONALLY LONG POST**

I've had several emails and comments asking where we stand in all this so here's the skinny:

As ya'll may recall, we had changed our status from 2 children to 1 child five months ago (or so we thought) and were surprised we were even contacted about twins to begin with. We figured it was a matter of urgency since the call came on the Sunday over the three day MLK weekend. It was. They needed to be moved by the following Friday and it was a short week.

With what little info the county had on them and the case, we could not (in good conscience) say whether or not we thought they would be a good match for us. We were relieved the wonderful worker "K" totally understood and didn't cop a 'tude like "J" did when we turned down the placement back in September.

So we went into this as an emergency placement with the understanding that once things settle down and we got to know the kids, we have the opportunity to change our status to foster to adopt. If we felt it wasn't a good match and they are more than we can handle, we would let "K" know right away and she would start looking for a fost/adopt family to move them to.

I gave DH a month to decide.

This is a huge decision and impacts everyone. The twins, us, Nantie.. everyone. I've been trying not to push DH... but come on.. I have to drop hint bombs, right? Here is how I nonchalantly started the conversation last week:

ME: I know I gave you a month to decide on the kids' placement but I just wanted to let you know I've already made up my mind.

(Covert, right? It gets better..)

DH: Okay.

ME: Could you even begin to imagine packing their things up and shipping them off to another foster family?!

DH (startled): What? Oh hell no!

ME: Decision made?

DH: Without a doubt. If they don't go home to Mom they are already home.

And so it is. We've changed our status to fost/adopt.

At this point the case is geared towards reunifying Jack and Jill with mom and a target date for them to return has been set. We do not know what her treatment plan is and will not be told. Her next court date is in April and I plan to attend to get a better feel for how it's all going (for the most part we're kept in the dark).

SO, the prayer we're sending up goes something like this: "Dear Lord, we thank you for bringing these darling angels into our home. No matter the outcome, we will love them with all our hearts. Keep them safe, happy and healthy and help us be patient and understanding. Please watch over their Mama and help guide her. Keep us from being selfish and wishing her ill will. We put this in your hands. If they are to return home, please give us the strength to let them go."

One last question I have been asked is about pictures. I will not be posting anything that identifies them but trust me when I say they are darling.

Photobucket

Monday, January 19, 2009

Calm, Cool & Collected..

NOT!!! (My picture in the sidebar pretty much hits the nail right on the head).

Last night I got about 2 hours of sleep. My little mind was spinning (still is, as a matter of fact). The call we are waiting on could end up being life changing. Totally epic. When DH got home tonight we talked about the day and I told him how beat I am:

DH: Why?

Me: Um, the twins. (insert internal eye roll and big fat, "Duh" here).

DH: (still perplexed)

Me: Well, if we do get them it's huge.. LIFE ALTERING HUGE! For one thing, because of the age range we've chosen I've had to hold off on decorating and their room is fairly bare. If they do come I will have almost zero time to make it comfortable...

On and on I ranted, all the while DH cocking his head to and fro like our dobe when he hears a high pitched noise.

DH: So you're stressing about stressing over something that may not even come to pass. Yes?

Me: Yes.

DH: Backs away slowly.

I've already popped 2 Tylenol PMs and hope they kick in soon. Must.stop.thinking.now. It's in His hands and whatever will be will be.

I'm getting slleeeeppppyyy.


Photobucket

Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Call.. Er, Kind Of..

Back in August when we got called on the sisters, we made the heart wrenching decision to decline. There was a huge twist in the case and our gut reaction was it was more than we could handle. I must say, being completely honest with yourself (and mate) downright stinks. It was at that time we dug deep and came to the realization that going from zero to two kids all at once was biting off more than we could chew. We decided to change our file from 2 children to 1 child. We would keep our certification current and adopt again a few years down the line. Since then the phone has been silent.

Until today.

Folks, when the county calls on a Sunday during a 3 day weekend, you know somethings up. Color me a rocket scientist. The call was for a set of 4 year old twins. A boy and a girl. I told her about us changing our status five months ago and come to find out, our file had not been changed. Sigh. Although the twins are not a match for us, I told her if she was unable to find a home we would take them in as an emergency placement.

Turns out, this is no ordinary case (not that there is one). There is no time for a presentation, the 24 hours to make a decision or even a transition period. No time to hang out with the family and get a feel for the ebb and flow. Placement needs to happen asap. Like, Tuesday or Wednesday. Holy cow.

The social worker called back and said there was a good chance they will be needing us take the kiddos. She had gone to the office and made some calls. It was looking bleak. She asked if we understood that this could take 2-3 months. We do. I asked her to please let us know right away and immediately called Nantie when we were done.

So, our little family is on Red Alert. Although it may not be the final placement God has intended for us, we may be in for our first great adventure.

Stay Tuned!

Photobucket

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

There IS Room In The Inn..

DH and I had decided from the get go we couldn't be a receiving home. It's basically a certified family that takes calls in the middle of the night for a child sitting in the office at social services. A warm bed and safe home are needed pronto. If it happens during the week, there is typically a court hearing the following day that needs to be attended, followed by a trip to social services and other various appointments. For us, working full time just isn't conducive to helping in that capacity.

A couple nights ago I got an email from the county with a plea for help with emergency placements. Come to find out they had 5 kiddos on Thanksgiving alone, 2 of which spent Wednesday night and Thursday IN the office with an emergency worker because homes couldn't be reached. The workers can't take them home, of course.

Utterly heartbreaking.

I revisited the conversation with DH but Mr. Practical prevailed. We have the room, just not the time.. how could we help? WHO has the time and the heart that could step up?

NANTIE!!!

She has finished her training, cpr and her finger printing is done. She just has a couple meetings left with "D" (her home study worker) before her vote goes to the board. Actually, she is just awaiting "The Call" for our placement to move in with us.

When I told Nantie what happened over Thanksgiving she was beside herself. She is totally on board and will move in early if need be. This has nothing to do with our fost/adopt placement.. just a safe, warm home for a little one if needed.

Please keep the precious angels in the foster care system in your prayers this holiday season.

Photobucket
 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.