Saturday, July 24, 2010

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (Maxie Style!)

Oh my my, what a great day Friday turned out to be!

Yes, a "neighbor" (broadly used--we live on acreage lots and he could've been around the corner or miles away) truly had kept him. I'm appalled (just like all of you and my Facebook friends) that a dog owner could do that to another. I can't even count how many strays we've returned to their rightful owners.. it's just what we do, right?


As soon as 5pm hit I was out the door and headed to the Humane Society. I admit there was a moment of sheer panic sitting in the waiting area.. the What-If's filled my head. What If It's Not Him made my stomach turn and I almost burst into tears. Yes, it was a glass is half empty second or two but moments later melted into absolute joy. We did the jail-walk for me to identify him (I've done this how many times in the last month now?). Many of the same dogs are still there.. unclaimed.. and I pray they get to move on to adoption and not pts.

That's when I started to tear up.

THEN.. the moment of reunion.. there Mr. Maxwell was in the very last cage.. laying there perfectly content. He looked at me and cocked his head, then stood when he heard my voice and his silly curly tail started a-waggin'. Enter gushing tears. I couldn't believe it was really him.. my darling boy.

It wasn't the two lost dog reports I had filed or the picture they had of him that aided in his quick identification.. it was his microchip. Although warned it could've deactivated or migrated away (he's had it for, like, 11 years now) it worked like a charm. I've been vigilant about keeping their info current with Home Again (phone number changes, address updates, etc) and it paid off.


So, at the end of the day all I can do is let go of the anger towards the other people for not turning him in immediately and focus on all the the positives. He was safe, well taken care of, they didn't let him go or give him away. They did the right thing by surrendering him (eventually). We are beyond grateful that he is home safe and sound (and so is his sister, Dakota).. take a look:

As for his big adventure, it's over for now. After exactly one month to the day of his Great Escape life is finally back to normal. I have no doubt he had a wonderful time running like the wind, diving through irrigation ditches and making new friends. He will surely spin tales for the other canines of his great journey, replaying them as he sleeps in his comfy, safe bed next to his husky sister.

Right where he belongs.


Sheri said...

I'm SO glad he's home.

I can't believe it's been a month. Talk about keeping the faith!

Have a great reunion this weekend!

Laurel said...




Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.