Friday, January 23, 2009

Official Members of The Urgent Care Club

Jack and Jill arrived with their workers at just after 10am. They were in good spirits and happy to see us. Sweet relief. They came with bags and bags of toys, clothes and shoes. Their family didn't have much but really doted over the children. Bless their hearts for sending everything.. all that is familiar really helps.

Jill had a runny nose yesterday and was pretty sick today. The workers said to keep an eye on her and if we felt uncomfortable at any point, head over to urgent care. She was pretty wiped out and was snuggled in on the couch watching cartoons, in and out of sleep. Jack brought some toys out and made himself at home.

She just seemed to feel worse and by 4pm we were headed to urgent care. Nantie stayed home with Jack. Jill was hot as heck and just miserable. It hurt to look at her and she just clung onto DH or myself. Poor little eensie thing.

She hadn't peed since we had her (although we were making her drink water) and that was a concern. Urgent care wanted her to go before we left (willing to give her another hour) or we were off to the emergency room for dehydration. Her temp spiked to 104. They did a strep test, looked and listened to everything and tested for flu. They gave her Motrin and it was a wait and see. All the while she was sipping as much water as she could.

Can I just say for the record, she was an absolute darling, never once fussing or refusing. The tiniest little trooper I've ever met.

She was curled on my lap under her blankie (clutching her Teddy) when her head suddenly popped up and she declared, "I HAVE TO PEE!" Those words never sounded so good. We high fived as she pottied and her spunky little personality started to peek through. She was ready to come home to chicken noodle soup that Missy L had prepared.

Another hour seemed to drag on as her fever came down. 100.1 .. sweet! The verdict was in: INFLUENZA A. Seriously, she's got the FLU. Oy!!! We're now all on various prescriptions (hers to get her better, Nantie, DH, Jack and I to keep from getting sick).

By the time we got home she was really much better. We ate and crashed on the couch.

At 8:30 we started winding down for bed. Pj's, tooth brushing, bedtime stories. They are used to having the tv on in their room all night long and not so happy that's not the case here. With big yawns, tucked in with old and new toys, they drifted off. I peeked in once, Jack was totally out but Jill couldn't sleep. I spent a few more mins rubbing her back and she drifted off. They wanted the light on the bedside table left on.. hopefully they'll sleep through it.

NOT the first day I imagined but we survived and so did they. I guess that's really all we can ask for..


Denise said...

Sounds like you handled it all like a pro.

Heather said...

Hope she feels better soon!

(Possible name slip at the end of the second paragraph...)

Melissa said...

Thank you EVERYONE for all your kind words and support!!!!

Heather.. thanks for the heads up!! So exhausted.. LOL..

Cassandra said...

Quite a first day! It's all uphill from there.

Hope that Jill gets better quickly and that everyone else stays healthy!

Bridget said...

Melissa your gonna do great! Thanks for keeping us posted:)
They sound so exciting!!!

Michelle said...

I'm glad she's feeling better..:) What a first day.. they are breaking you in early..hehe..

Kadi said...

Welcome to parenthood my dear cousin :) You are doing so well! Can't wait to hear more...I have not called only because I didn't want to pester. I know how it is when you bring a new family member home! Love you~ Kadi

Snowmommy said...

Wow, with a first day like that, I know you will do great! It's in those moments that love grows.

cloudmaster said...

Here's hoping Jill gets better soon.

Kim @ What's That Smell said...

Trial by fire! Sounds like you did just fine!

Diana - FreeStyleMama said... handled it so well. SO did Jill. Great job!

Lori said...

Just when you thought the day couldn't get any more memorable!

Sounds like you have great mom instincts.

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

You surely got baptized by fire or fever- huh? The flu is horrid- I am so impressed that "Jill" is such a trooper! Get some sleep and I'll continue praying for your new little family! God bless!

hrw102779 said...

Welcome to the Urgent Car club...Glad "Jill" is feeling better, and that they so far seem to be settling well.

Have a fun weekend with them!

Amber said...

Talk about baptism by fire. So thrilled for you, though!

Alyson, the 3 P's Mama said...

Not the first day you would have asked for but I give you ALL a SUPER DUPER A+++ for making the best of it all! Way to handle the transition kiddos and super way to handle the somewhat scary situation mom and dad!!!!

Remember to take it one day at a time and you are all gonna be great!!

Stacy's Random Thoughts said...

Wow, she sounds like a perfect little trooper! What a first day for you...but you handled it SO well! Great job! :)


Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.