Sunday, August 9, 2009

Impeccable Timing

For the last few years I've been trying to find a church that fits me best. Don't get me wrong, I loved the one I attended growing up.. the services, youth ministry and choir I was involved with left a life long impression. They were some of the best times I had as a child and teen. That being said, as an adult I've come to a place where I don't agree with all the teachings and thought it was high time I give others a try.

No easy task.

There is something for everyone and many were not for me. I've tried ones that were so laid back people were wearing sweats. I couldn't handle it. At another they shouted out to the pastor as he was preaching ("Amen"s and "Praise The Lord"s).. that literally made me come out of my chair .. I was a nervous wreck. Another was all about entertainment and a production.. making us laugh and a band that rocked out. Too showy for my taste.

I had taken the kiddos to a new church some weeks (ok, months) back to check out. Although very different from my conservative upbringing, it fit just right. It had some great music, a really good pastor and I liked his message. Bible teaching in a church. What a concept! The kids totally loved their teachers and I fully intended to return.

Summer came and so did the activities. Family get togethers, birthdays galore, camping trips, races.. you name it. We have been going nonstop and sadly, church got put on the back burner.

Until this weekend.

The thought of going back had been gnawing at me for sometime now. I had decided it was time to schedule things around church for a change. Color me a rocket scientist. This weekend we finally made it back and boy howdy, as soon as I saw the new series they were starting I had to smile, "Magnificent.. The God Who Meets You Where You Are.." It's all about where God is when you need Him.

If there was anyone that was supposed to be there, it sure was me.

I sat there nodding and in tears during the whole message. What hit home? The parts about worry and discouragement. Talk about hitting the nail on the head and talking directly to me.

You were right, Pastor John. There was someone sitting there needing that message (in a big way) last night. We'll be seeing you next weekend.

God's timing never ceases to amaze me..

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it when it all comes together like that. God works in wonderfully mysterious ways!

Unknown said...

He does have great timing! I sometimes just need to remember his timetable is not my own and be patient.

Brittany said...

I agree with what Amber said. I too have to remember it's on his time not mine!

Sheri said...

I believe our messages are all around us if we are open enough to tune in.

I'm so glad his message hit home for you.

Elizabeth @ My Life, Such as it is... said...

This is so timely for my family as well. We finally found a church that meets all our needs but haven't attended much this past year due to all kinds of stuff going on. When I broke down crying because we missed another Sunday, I knew enough was enough! I love everything about our church - people, fellowship, worship, getting fed "meat & potatoes" from the Word, etc. Hooray for you making worship a priority!

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.