Friday, September 5, 2008

9 Months Ago This Very Day..


Our Odyssey Began..

We attended the Family Share Night dinner and discussion put on by the County. We had about 12 people at each table (there were loads of tables and a huge turnout) and it was set up like speed dating. Someone from each faction of the fost/adopt program sat down and spoke for 10ish minutes about their experience and would field our questions. They were open and honest (we heard the good, the bad and the ugly), then the dinger would ding and off they would go. It was a fantastic way to get a glimpse at the different facets of the system (from social workers to foster only families to adoption stories).

That evening set into motion this little journey of ours.

As time has passed and we've muddled our way here to this waiting place, it feels like seasons of change. Much like going from our scorching hot weather last weekend to really feeling like fall today (it was only in the 50's!), we are moving from one place in time to the next. We're transitioning from being the childless couple to a little family. As I always anticipate fall, my favorite of all seasons, with it's perfectly crisp air and beautifully changing leaves, I feel the same excitement bubbling up for what is to come. We're not there yet (there's plenty of warm days left and the leaves are still green) but it's so close you can feel it.

Alison (from one of my daily must reads ~ RDH Mom) posted a wonderful comment here that really made sense. She reminded me to enjoy this wait .. it is part of our journey. What a wonderful way of looking a it! Heeding her advice, I am not going to wish this time away. Like summer, I'll soak up the last bit of warmth, beauty and all it has to offer before season end.

In the time it should have taken me to carry our precious one to term, I sit here with a flat tummy, no swelling of the feet and at pretty much the same weight I was last December (give or take a few). Yes, of course I feel loss (we both do) but what an amazing insight we've gained into our society and selves. It's priceless. We don't always get what we wish for but, by golly, the Good Lord always provides just what we need.

Departing summer hath assumed
An aspect tenderly illumed,
The gentlest look of spring;
That calls from yonder leafy shade
Unfaded, yet prepared to fade,
A timely carolling.
- William Wordsworth, September


Photobucket

2 comments:

Alison said...

One day you will look back on these days and understand why it happened the way it did. You never understand at the time, but will at a later date. Our first adoption was 7 months start to finish, our second was 12 months. Lots happened during those months and looking back with clarity I realized that all that "stuff" was part of the journey and needed to happen for our journey to come to completion. You will have the same clarity some day.

I admire you for listening to your husband's gut instinct. This is the hardest thing to do, but the most important...you are on the right track. Patience, my friend.

Bridget said...

you will be fine:) I like the bell idea. I think I'll tie some on their shoes. thanks!

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.