Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lions and Tigers and..

.. Bears in the yard, OH MY!

Yes, it's true. We got dem bars from them tharn hills passing through again.

We live at the foothills of the beautiful Colorado Rocky Mountains. With this beauty comes loads of wild life. At various times of the year, we have herds of elk that meander across our property, deer, coyotes, red foxes, raccoons, Pepe Le Pews .. and bear.

DH was out on the patio a year ago, enjoying a beautiful fall night. He had gotten home late from a dinner meeting and it was around 11pm. I was upstairs in bed asleep and was awoken by him in a state of what seemed panic (or child like glee), "Honey.. A b..a bbe.. a bbb" My eloquent husband had been possessed by John Candy. He finally spit it out.. he saw a bear. It had silently walked up and stood about 10 feet from him. DH made a quick, startled move and it took off lightening fast across the yard and was gone. He was so excited after he woke me up he called Missy and My Kiwi to spin the tale of his incredible sighting.

Did I mention it was 11:00 at night?

The very next day, the whole family had heard of his close encounter and the emails started blazing...

Did he look like this?



NO, DH replied back.. He looked more like THIS:


To which Brenda responded, "Sure it wasn't more like this??"


and on and on... Like Rodney Dangerfield, DH just got no respect (although to this day he swears it was a Kodiak.. ya, that's it, a Kodiak).

I bring this up because our neighbor shooed one away on Saturday night and it's bear season once again in our 'hood. Hopefully he stays away from the patio this year and we can get some sleep!

1 comment:

my life: said...

I love this post....I have great visuals!

I'm curious...where are you in your own adoption journey...I'm feeling like I've missed something. (which is not unlikely)
:0)

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.